Aidans first day of school!

Aidans first day of school!
click me! click me!

Monday, February 7, 2011

When is there to much silly.

Aidan is now 6 years old and having trouble with his behavior in school. Every parent with a child with special needs adores the silly that may last longer with these kids, but when is there to much silly? I have decided to try and curve the silly behavior at times when Aidan must be serious. It must seem harsh for others looking on to see such a sweet boy with a million dollar smile chastized by his father when all he wants to do is play and be silly. But when it comes to potty training, and getting along with classmates by keeping his hands to himself, well Aidan is challenged.

I have tried many different tactics to curve this type of behavior and some have worked and some not so much. (As I write this we had a successful poopy on the potty Yeah!) The issue is when Aidan gets to the point where you are trying to correct that behavior he wants to make you laugh, (and it works often). A typical child learns quickly that is not the time for silly laughter. It seems that when a child has a special condition like Aidans Down syndrome most people cannot resist the smiles and laughter and end up breaking out laughing. This does not help Aidan understand, that what had done, just then, was not the behavior we are looking for.
It has been my experience that putting Aidan in time out right away, not letting him get to my silly bone, is the best approach. This way he stops trying to get me to laugh, and when he gets out of time out (a minute per yr old) I make him tell me what behavior made him get the time out. I'm no genius as you can tell by my blogging abilities, but it is starting to sink in.

No comments:

Post a Comment